Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Impromptu

Here's a post with pictures...woohoo!!  :)  It occurred to me at one point today that I'd like some pictures for this blog so I pulled out my camera.

For now our kidschool routine is: opening prayer, opening song, learning activity, story time, closing song, closing prayer.  Otherwise, a lot of what we do is impromptu.  Often the learning activity changes from what we started with into something else because the kids were curious about something or I had a better idea at that moment.  Today was no exception.  Annie received a lot of artsy/ educational gifts for her birthday so I promised the kids we'd use them all during school time this week.  Today we started with the modeling clay she received and had some really great conversation while we worked it together.  I think the best part of school is having focused conversations with these kids.  I learn so much from them that way, and when they are focused they learn the most in their turn.  Then I pulled out the chalk she was given and thought up an open-ended project.  I put a large piece of paper on the table, pulled out a black crayon, and asked the children what we should make a picture of.  Annie said, "Grandma!" and Logan seconded the motion, so I drew a rough picture of my mom which the kids then colored and embellished as they chose.  Before looking at the picture, I will admit that my artistry skills are greatly lacking, but would have been slightly better in this case if I hadn't had kids hanging on my arms when I drew it.

Notice the chalk on her nose? 

A few close-ups with enclosed descriptions.  ("a nice spider named 'Alex'")

"Jim the ladybug" and "Annie the ladybug"

I will also note that her skin is not red, you are merely seeing through it to her blood.  Logan is fascinated with the fact that blood circulates through our bodies.

The creation of this picture led to another learning opportunity because we decided to mail it to her.  They wanted to know how it would get to her house, so I walked them through the steps of preparing the envelope, and explained the process it would take to make it to her.  Logan then mailed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment