Tuesday, February 12, 2013

An Episode in Motherhood

There is an unwritten rule for mothers that states: 'Thou shalt not make any phone calls.'  The consequences are immediate whenever a mother breaks this rule.  I was already having one of 'those days' that make mothers everywhere want to hide from their children with chocolate and earplugs.  On top of that I decided it was a good time to break the phone call rule.  Clearly I wasn't thinking.  The kids were pretty calm, and the real reason we were having one of 'those days' was because I've felt poorly since getting out of bed this morning.  Plus, the calls seemed rather important (you know, making sure things were lined up for the birth of another child...).  That was my justification. 

So the kids were calm and I dialed the hospital.  (Cue waiting music.)  The exact moment that someone answered, Alex started screaming in my face and the dog started barking.  Within seconds, Annie opened the door allowing the dog to run off outside and she proceeded across the carpet leaving dog poop footprints in her wake.  I'm sure the lady I was attempting to talk to was impressed with the chaos; I doubt she could even hear me.  That was phone call number one.

After chasing down the dog, calming Alex, and cleaning up the dog poop, I hadn't learned my lesson.  I made phone call number two, this time to the insurance agency.  The next thing I knew, all three kids came in.  Five out of six shoes on their feet were smeared with dog poop, and of course it was all over the carpet again!  I really had to wonder if they were stepping in it on purpose!

After cleaning the carpet and shoes again, I made phone call number three to the doctor's office.  I knew something was bound to happen (like Alex peeing his pants), but threw caution to the wind.  Sure enough, Alex came up the stairs letting me know he'd had an accident (we're potty training this week).  I'd even predicted that one! 

Now that my phone calls are finished, nothing else is bound to happen.  (Right?)  Maybe now I can hide in my closet with some chocolate.  Even better, maybe I can take a nap.   

I hope you've enjoyed this 'episode in motherhood' and if you're a mother related whole-heartedly.  Have a nice day!  :)

4 comments:

  1. I hate talking on the phone too for this very reason. And you know those automated answering things that ask you say your information? They are always picking up the background noise and then telling me, "I'm sorry, we didn't get that..." I hate those things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I avoid those automated transactions as much as possible for the same reason!

      Delete
  2. Oh Becky! I don't want to laugh but I did. You're so brave to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laugh away! I thought it was funny by the time it was done; that's why I shared it. :-)

      Delete