Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Dear Brand New Homeschool Parent

Now that school is out for the summer, some families are considering what they want for next year.  This is for those of you who have decided to embark on the unknown.

Dear Brand New Homeschool Parent,

As you get started with homeschool you are going to hear a lot of opinions and advice from so called 'experts' and other homeschoolers.  The most important thing to remember is that YOU are the expert on your child(ren) and YOU are the one Heavenly Father sent your child(ren) to.  That entitles YOU to make decisions and receive inspiration for their education.  As one of those homeschoolers I'll gladly share what has worked for us and what I think may be helpful to you in starting. 

First of all, I think a really good first step is to ask yourself what your goals are with homeschooling.  What are your reasons and what do you hope to accomplish?  Knowing your end goal will keep you heading in the right direction when you're sorting through ideas.  The way I approach our school time is a result from asking myself this question.  My personal goals in homeschooling are in this order:

1. Raise children who have testimonies of the Gospel and live it.
2. Raise children who have strong family relationships.
3. Raise children who know how to work.
4. Raise children who love learning.

You'll notice that my LAST goal addresses academics and it isn't to see my kids get good grades or become math wizards.  I was always a good student as far as grades went, but never loved learning until I was in college and consequently never learned much until then.  So when we get to the academic part I focus on keeping it inspired for all of us.  I want them to love it from the start.

These goals manage how I approach each day.  First of all, we have a family devotional.  If nothing else gets done, that should in my mind.  If we are not getting along, being kind, etc. that is addressed before we move into our academic time, and we will stop those activities to readdress family relationships as needed.  I also place snuggle time higher on my priority list than academics.  When life gets hectic and we haven't been feeling very harmonious, we will have snuggle days instead of school days.  Work gets placed before academics as needed.   Mostly the kids have regular chores that they do after school time each day, but I would rather see them learn to work hard than spell correctly so it comes first as needed especially when we have family work projects.  This is a glimpse of how I prioritize that list.  It keeps us on track.

Second, I think creating a simple schedule is the next most helpful thing.  Set aside a few hours at the same time each day that you are going to give your child(ren) your undivided attention.  Then choose a few things to work on each day.  Keep it VERY simple.  This year our schedule was:

-Family Devotional
-Learning to Read time (as long as their attention spans held out)
-Math time (no set time, just a simple lesson)

-Learning Activity time (this was whatever I felt like each day and usually just one: a craft, science experiment, penpal letters, cooking together, etc.)
-Read Out Loud time (again no set time, but this is when I would read out loud to the kids)

When we first started homeschooling we only had family devotional, a learning activity, and read out loud time.  It was enough to get us started and once I was comfortable with it, it was easy to add in things.  Next year our schedule will be very similar to this year except we won't have learning to read time anymore because my oldest two are now fluent readers and the next two aren't old enough yet.

Here I'll point out that you don't have to do everything the public school does.  You don't have to have all the subjects and busywork that they have.  You have the advantage of working one on one with your child(ren) and going at their speed and their attention span.  Most worksheets are just busy work and a waste of time.  If they aren't really learning from something, it isn't worth forcing them to do it.

Third, once you have goals and a simple schedule, focus on keeping it inspiring.  If they're giving a lot of push back they probably aren't learning much.  If you're hating it, there is something that can change.  Intelligence comes from God as the scriptures say and as such brings happiness.  There is a certain amount of pressure that is right for each kid, so I'm not saying don't apply pressure.  I am saying keep it at the right level.  Learn about things they are interested in.  Learn about things you are interested in because your enthusiasm will be contagious.  Be willing to go slower than the world says is necessary if that is what really works.  Be willing to skip assignments that really won't be beneficial or jump around in the textbook (if you're using a textbook...we aren't).    Don't turn school into a checklist, and it will be much more enjoyable and they'll learn so much more. 

Again, remember that you are the expert on your child.  One of the hardest things about homeschooling is worrying if your child is measuring up and if you're doing enough.  However, the world really has no idea what your child needs and it's important to tell yourself that all the time.  Ignore the pressures around you so you can receive the inspiration that is sure to come.  When we started homeschooling, I had no idea what to teach, but I knew what my goals were and we were sticking to our simple schedule.  I was diligent with giving the kids that much of my undivided attention and that was what opened the way for inspiration.  I simply knew when it was time to add things in and when the kids were ready for new things because the Lord was helping me.  It continues to be that way. 

Fourth, be choosy about curriculum and possibly wait to buy any.  It can be very expensive and then if it doesn't fit your style and their needs, it can be a frustrating waste of money.  Every homeschooler I know has stories of jumping around between curriculums.  Right now, I only use curriculum for math, and I waited until just a few months ago to purchase it when I was sure I knew what I wanted.  I'm so glad I waited because I would have ended up with something totally unsuited to my kids' needs and my teaching style.  As for other subject areas I'm finding we can learn without curriculum.  I taught the kids to reading by simply sounding things out phonetically, and they are learning to write through penpal letters, art projects, and games.  They are learning spelling and grammar through reading.  We learn science and history by choosing library books on those topics that interest us.  I wrote a blog post on this very thing recently:


If you're interested in looking at our math curriculum, I'm happy to recommend it.  I did find it difficult to teach math without a curriculum, not because I don't understand math, but because there are so many different concepts that I didn't know what I was missing without some guidance.  My curriculum is very different than most because it isn't organized by grade level.  Rather there are only four books that teach all the way to pre-algebra.  One book is on money and decimals, another on geometry, another on fractions, and another on operations (addition, subtraction, etc.).   I love it because once my kids understand a concept they can move right onto the next without having to wade through hundreds of problems on the same thing.  On the inverse, if a concept is difficult they can spend as much time on it as they need to while still progressing in the other areas.  My kids aren't at just one grade level for math; Logan is way ahead for operations, possibly behind in geometry, and probably right at grade level for the other concepts.  I love that he can work on things as he understands them without worrying about if he's getting it all done.  You can look at it online here:


Last, if anything I've said here has resonated with you, I HIGHLY recommend reading A Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver DeMille.  (I get nothing from recommended this; I just think it's worthwhile.)  We stumbled on this when Logan was preschool age and it completely changed the way I looked at homeschool.  It was a LIFESAVER because it showed me how we could homeschool without the battles a lot of homeschool parents have.  It's not a homeschool how-to book, but rather a method that helps parents see how they can do this in a more natural way than forced task managing.  It also seeks to help parents give their children the kind of quality education our founding fathers had, hence the title.  It is the reason I have so much fun doing school with my kids and why I think they've been able to learn in such leaps and bounds.  I consider myself lucky because I think I have a much easier and enjoyable time schooling my children than just about anybody I know.  It's a really short easy read and is available at some libraries.  It's inexpensive to purchase online as well.

Also, here are the links to a couple of other blog posts I wrote that may be helpful.  The first is another I wrote specifically to anyone who was thinking about homeschooling for the first time; I said some of the same things, but mostly it's different.  The second is just a description of what a typical day looked like for us last fall.




Sincerely,
A Homeschool Mom Who Loves It
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment