Sunday, June 9, 2013

Summer Schedule

Oh what do you do in the summertime when all the world is green???
 
The answer to that for us is get out of the house hopefully.  I feel like I've had my kids cooped up for almost a year and I'm finally energetic enough to get out.  My goal for the month of June is to catch up with friends and have lots of outings.  We started that this week and it felt good.  Then for month of July we are going to enjoy our family that is coming to visit.  I honestly feel like we all need that kind of a change.  As for work and school, we aren't totally going to neglect those.  We had a family discussion about that today actually.  I was upfront with the kids about my desire to socialize and have outings, but then we talked about how it's still important to work hard every day.  We also won't take the summer off from school entirely because learning keeps us happy.  That means our schedule is up in the air...sort of.
 
One thing that will remain consistent is their reading time.  Annie very suddenly became a fluent reader sometime during April or May and Logan's response to me anytime I want him to do something is, "Can I finish my page first?"  We've signed up for 5 summer reading programs, so I'm now attempting to track how much they read each day.  Before I started tracking it, I knew they were reading a lot.  I thought it was something like two or three hours a day.  I was wrong!  In this busier than usual week (because we went places a lot), I've recorded 36 hours for Logan and 23 for Annie.  I have to wonder how many hours they were reading during our previous not so busy weeks!  To add further to my amazement, I know that those numbers are low because whenever I've needed to estimate (which has been frequent) I've been careful to underestimate!  So if I think Logan has read for four hours, I'll record three.  I don't know if I'll continue to track minutes past the end of June, but I'm finding it fascinating to see how much they are reading.  I want to have a whole month's worth.  The best part is that they aren't reading for the prizes they will earn.  Only once this week have they said anything to me about the reading programs; they don't even think about it (which is why I'm tracking their minutes).   


No comments:

Post a Comment