Friday, August 31, 2012

Japanese Americans During WWII

I recently picked up two books from a fairly new children's series.  It was random, but now I'm curious.  They're called "Dear America" and explore different time events/ places in American history.  They're historical fiction, so while the events and places are real, the characters are fictional.  Each one is in diary format written by a fictional girl in each scenario.  The reason I'm curious to read more is because I thought the two I read were interesting and unique in the way they looked at their respective events, and I'm starting to think it may be a good series to introduce my kids to.

Anyway, the one I read this week was called "The Fences Between Us" and took place during World War II.  While it mentioned the war, it specifically focused on what the Japanese Americans went through after Pearl Harbor in the camps they were forced to go to.  It described the poor conditions (especially at first) that they were in for two and a half years, how they lost their homes, belongings, businesses, etc. as a result, and the prejudice many Americans expressed towards anyone of Japanese ancestry.  It peaked my interest, as I hadn't focused on this very sad moment in our history before, and I went searching for more information.  I was shocked to learn that it wasn't until 1988 that the federal government finally passed legislation that formally apologized and attempted to make reparation to the 110,000 Japanese Americans who were forced to leave their homes and live in these camps.  This is an incredible blot on our history!

Among my searching I found one positive thing.  In my research, I came across information about the camp in Colorado.  The mayor of Colorado, Ralph Lawrence Carr, was the one and only high ranking official that opposed the 'relocation camps'.  I came across correspondence he'd had about the issue where he welcomed anyone of Japanese ancestry to come to Colorado, but also refused to have a hand in the camps aside from upholding the law.  He very clearly opposed this movement, and after they were released was the ONLY public official to make a public apology to the Japanese Americans.  He lost the next election, as well as his attempt to run for senate as a result.  Years later, a monument was put up in his honor in Denver's Sakura Square in remembrance of his efforts in behalf of the Japanese Americans.  I was glad to learn of a man who stood for what was right in the face of such odds, and at the expense of personal career goals. 

So I'm curious to review more of these books, and am hoping I've discovered something that can be of value to my children.

2 comments:

  1. Remember that we have come a long way in the last fifty years, at least outwardly. The time of the interment camps was also a time of Jim Crow laws and extreme prejudice toward blacks, not only in the South but throughout the United States. Women also had very few rights and privileges during that time, even white women. My mom, in the fifties, went to teacher's college because she didn't want to be a secretary--and those were the two acceptable options. Fortunately, she was a very good teacher.

    I think most prejudice is based on a combination of fear and pride. Because the Japanese looked different than the Germans among us, it was easy to target them as being potential enemies and feel like we were doing something within our own country to protect the people. Yet we were condemning the Germans for the Holocaust at the same time.

    The other part, pride, comes from fear also. What will my neighbors think if I socialize with someone of another race, have grandchildren that look like "them" or let "them" go to the same schools and perhaps do better than us? Will I look like an enemy sympathizer if I fight for them?

    I think the most important thing we can do is be aware of our own hearts and root out any feeling of prejudice that may arise.

    ReplyDelete