Monday, March 19, 2012

All of the Sudden It's Spring

It's really hard to believe that just over two weeks ago we made snowmen in our backyard because we've been enjoying 80 degree weather for a week now.  We've been spending HOURS outside every day.  The kids are wearing shorts and I need to get some.  It's so perfect, and I have to enjoy it before it becomes miserable.  I wonder if this means we'll have an unusually long, hot summer?  I hope it just means an unbelievably awesome spring.

Anyway, I've been eager for a warm day when it was my turn to host playschool just so we could use the bubble machine and play with ooblick.  I got my wish last Tuesday.  Note: 8 small children + 1 bubble machine + 1 pan of ooblick + 1 unfenced backyard = bad pictures

Here's the bubble machine.  I love this so much better than using a bubble wand for two reasons: 1. I don't have to do it.  2. The kids can fulfill the urge to blow bubbles in their drink.   

 Ooblick is corn starch and water.  With the right amount of water it becomes a cross between a solid and a liquid and feels SO COOL.  You can grab it in a ball, but if you loosen your grip, it will drip through your fingers.  I haven't done this much because I had this funny idea that it was messy.  It turns out I was right and wrong.  These kids COVERED themselves in it, and I was wondering if any parents were going to be upset with me.  They put it in each other's hair, on their faces, and all over their clothes.

Here's Logan trying to show me his mess (before he got a lot messier).  Well, after the ooblick was gone (because it was all over them) I just let them play outside for a while.  Then I had this idea to try a dry washcloth on the kids.  It was magical.  Every bit brushed off their skin, hair, and clothes; I didn't even have to rub!  There was no evidence when their parents arrived.  I'm definitely doing this more often!

Playing outside was seriously so fun last week.


I've been amazed at all the trees and bushes that are blossoming already with this weather. 

Outside, wearing shorts, eating apples, and new leaves growing in the background!  Yes!  I think a trip to the arboretum may be due in short order...

No comments:

Post a Comment