Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Feeling Good

Three years ago, I noticed I was feeling grumpy in general, and didn't like what I saw in the mirror (I wish I saw that now in the mirror...).  So I started exercising again.  I'd been in an inactive slump since Logan was born, and my emotions were definitely feeling it.  After a few months of struggling to exercise in our little apartment with two small ones wanting my attention, we signed up for the YMCA.  That was much better; I had more exercise options, my kids were safely playing while I worked out, and I felt better in so many ways.  I loved going to the Y, and we went several mornings every week.  I even went all the way through my pregnancy with Alex.  Awesome.  It was probably the only time I really felt good during that pregnancy. 

Then we started kidschool and I wasn't sure how to fit everything in.  My kids all still take daily naps, so school or going somewhere generally doesn't happen in the afternoons.  Initially I wasn't exercising at all because I couldn't seem to make time, plus we'd moved to a different state.  Then I realized just how badly I needed my workouts.  Without them I'm grumpy, unenergetic, and less clear headed.  So we signed up for the Y here in Iowa.  It took me a while to realize that I couldn't count on myself to go in the evenings; that's our family time, I'm tired, and we have often have other activities.  I decided that I was allowed to go a few days a week in the morning and bump kidschool to the late morning/ early afternoon.  I felt like I'd be shortchanging my kids if I did that every day, though, and that I'd wear myself out.  We did that for a few months and it went pretty well. 

During our eight weeks of moving, vacation, visiting family, and family emergency I didn't find any time to exercise and I suffered the consequences.  I was feeling really grouchy, lazy, and fuzzy headed.  Jim was complaining that he wanted his wife back.  I started back at the Y last week and made it twice.  Of the seven days last week, two were excellent and consequently our best kidschool days.  Those were the days I exercised.  I realized something towards the end of the week.  Kidschool is usually better on the days I work out!  The other thing I realized is that I usually get more done on those days even though I have less time.  It was true in previous months, although I hadn't realized it.  I have so much more energy when I exercise.  I feel positive, refreshed, and creative.  I want to do things.  When I look in the mirror, I don't care about what I see because I feel good.  All of these things translate into better time with my kiddos (and of course Jim).  I'm much more inclined to get hands on and excited about our learning activities when I feel good.  The kids, although they enjoy everything in kidschool, like those days the best and learn the most.  Even though it means school gets bumped to a later time it really works out better for us.  So now I think I'll start going to the Y five days a week (when possible)!   

No comments:

Post a Comment