Wednesday, April 3, 2013

My Sanity Break

...happens now. 

This is very much an element to our family's homeschool.  I'm not sure I could survive without it.  The kids know this time as 'quiet time'.  We've been having it since Logan was born, except then it was called 'nap time'.  In any case, it's a consistent afternoon break that allows me to re-charge for the evening.  Having my kids around all day is fabulous, but it's easy to get overloaded with all that energy and noise (not to mention the many things they need me for).  There are countless wonderful things about homeschooling, but I imagine this is one of the more prevalent trials among other homeschooling mothers.  As the older ones have quit taking daily naps, I've maintained this time with a few rules. 

1. Leave mom alone. 
2. If you are on the main floor of the house you must be reading or napping. 
3. If you want to talk or play you need to be outside or in the basement. 

During this time I'm able to study, read, relax, rest, and work on my projects (blogging falls into this category).  It's a wonderful time.  I can calm my brain, my body, and my stress levels.  The kids have had my attention all day up to this point, so they are content to give me this time.  For us this lasts about 2-3 hours every day.  It also works out that they get a break as well.  On days they are tired, they will choose to read or nap.  On days that they've been feeling cooped up, they run around and get their energy out.  Lately this time has been a huge blessing because I've often needed an afternoon nap; they are so great about letting me rest!  I know of other homeschooling families that have required this time even as they've had teenagers, and I can totally see that happening for us.  Hooray for this little element! 

No comments:

Post a Comment