Monday, April 8, 2013

My Reward

Today we had a full, normal school day.  Those have been less regularly lately with how I've been feeling (plus some extra stress), so it was a big effort.  Mostly we've been having partial school days the last two or three weeks.  It was great, but my reward afterwards was even better.

I always ask the kids to straighten the house before they can play outside and today was no different.  They are good little workers, and sometimes even cheerful about it.  I admit that is not always the case, though.  Usually they just get it over with.  I'm grateful for that alone. 

Anyway, today we started with a load of laundry (I'm on top of laundry again!!!!) that needed to be put away.  My reward first began when Annie saw me bring the basket upstairs.  "Mom can I help you put away the laundry?"  (Um...yes...)

The boys joined in without being asked, and before I knew it they were running around pretending to be laundry fairies.  (This is a common game they play.)  They were actually trying to sneak the laundry away from me and put it away before I could catch them.  It was hilarious.  I think it took us all of five minutes to put away that load.

Then I asked the kids to straighten the house.  I expected them to just get it over with (without complaint since we were having a good day), but instead they decided they were house fairies and turned it into a game.  Not only did they do it at amazing speed and very thoroughly, but they were running through the house saying things like, "We love to work!  We love to clean!  What else can we do?"  I think it took another five minutes for them to straighten the whole house.  I almost wished I had more for them to do.  :) 

They also provided plenty of amusement with this.  I was informed that we have a 'make a mess fairy' (AKA Alex) who they have trained to make messes just so they will always have work to do.  (That sounds pretty accurate.)  Further, they have the ability to become invisible and while invisible fly around the house doing the work.  I LOVE it when they are cheerful workers. 

Something I have learned about these kids is that they are happier when they work.  I think that's true for all people.  So the fact that they cheerfully did their chores after working hard at school for a few hours is no coincidence; I'd say it was a side effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment