Sunday, January 12, 2014

Aha Moment

I just had an 'aha' moment, or rather a new theory that makes sense to me.  I have several friends who are public educators and I've often heard them say that they are wary of homeschooling because they've seen too many instances where homeschooling really messed a child up.  These are good caring people and I know they really feel that way.  They are speaking from personal experience. 

A friend said this very thing today, so I was puzzling over it.  Why do so many educators believe that homeschooling has such a low success rate?  If you research it statistically, you'll find that a higher percent of homeschooled children excel academically than public school children.  From my own personal experience, I know a lot of homeschoolers and the majority of them are having wonderful success.  So why this viewpoint? 

Then I had my 'aha' moment.  Homeschool definitely fails in some instances and it definitely succeeds in many more.  What happens when it fails?  What would happen if I found that I couldn't do it?  That we weren't succeeding here in our home?  My kids would inevitably be sent to public school, either because of the law or because I was too fried/ discouraged to attempt it anymore.  What will happen if I continue to succeed?  My kids will stay home because it's working!

I'd venture a guess that the reason so many public educators have a bad taste in their mouth about homeschoolers is because most of the ones they meet are the ones who have re-entered the public school system owing to a failed attempt at home.  I'd also further venture to guess that many of these represent situations where 'homeschool' was the excuse, but no schooling was going on.  (NOT that I believe the right to have our children at home should be removed from us no matter how little schooling is going on, but that is another can of worms.)


No comments:

Post a Comment